We have had a busy winter! There are lots of great new resources that have been developed over the last several months to help further your journey in cover cropping, nitrogen management, and rotational grazing. You can find all of this on our OFCAF website and on Perennia’s YouTube channel, but here is a rundown of what you may have missed!
Some great instructional YouTube videos featuring farmers and Perennia Specialists:
Frost Seeding Red Clover into Winter Wheat
Cover Crops at Andeson’s Farm Stand
Interseeding Cover Crops into Corn
Cover Crops in Strawberry Production
Have you seen our series from Pasadena, NL with Andy Wright from Wright’s Family Farm?
Rye Cover Crops in Pasadena, NL: Wright’s Family Farm Series, Part 1
Fall rye planting dates in Pasadena, NL: Wright’s Family Farm Series, Part 2
Oats and Peas in Pasadena, NL – Wright’s Family Farm Series, Part 3
As we get into planting, time in front of the computer is a thing of the past, but you can always put some ear buds in and check out one of our great podcasts.
You can also listen in to one of our recent webinars, there’s a lot of good information here, and all recorded and on the Perennia YouTube channel:
- Rosalie Gillis-Madden, Perennia OFCAF Technical Project Manager hosted Rob Myers from University of Missouri for a webinar Can Cover Crops be Profitable for your Cropping System?
- Herbicide Management Tips for Integrating Cover Crops into the Rotation (time to start thinking about it now!) with Field Crop Specialist Caitlin Congdon and John Wallace from Penn State.
- As part of Perennia’s Getting into the Weeds series, Caitlin McCavour, Perennia’s Soils Specialist hosted Keith Reid to talk about Nutrient Efficiency: Good for the Bottom Line, Good for the Environment
- Managing Nitrogen in Soil-Based Protected Crops Part 1, and Managing Nitrogen in Soil-Based Protected Crops, Part 2 – Planning for Split Applications with Judson Reid from Cornell and Perennia’s Protected Crop Specialist, Talia Plaskett.
- Manure Management to Improve Nitrogen Efficiency, Soil Health, and Reduce Greenhouse Gases with Perennia Agriculture Environmental Specialist Mackenzie Rathgeber and OMAFRA’s Christine Brown.
- Cover Cropping in Tunnel Spaces with Judson Reid from Cornell and Perennia’s Protected Crop Specialist, Talia Plaskett.
- And if you need a daily dose of charm, join Perennia’s Rosalie Gillis-Madden, Sonny Murray, and Caitlin Congdon for a Cover Crops Ask Me Anything session!
- We also hosted an On-Farm Climate Action Essentials for Agrologists that hit on the three OFCAF BMPs, you can find the links to the sessions here:
If you have some downtime, may we suggest checking out some of our recent factsheets on improving nitrogen management? Learn more about
If rotational grazing is of interest to you, we have factsheets on improving pastures by no-till interseeding, as well as overseeding legumes.
Keep an eye on our social media to stay up to date by following @NSPerennia on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn as we post about new content, and upcoming events!